The Philippine Federation of Chemistry Societies recognizes outstanding contributions to Chemistry through the PFCS Outstanding Achievement Awards. The awards aim to:
- Inspire the youth to take up chemistry
- Recognize outstanding contribution of chemists to development of discipline
- Recognize outstanding and exemplary contributions to society through chemistry
The PFCS Outstanding Achievement Awards is given under four categories:
- Chemistry Education
- Chemical Research
- Chemical Industry
- Service to the Chemistry Profession
- Juanita Manalo Memorial Award*
*The Juanita Manalo Memorial Award is only given during Philippine Chemistry Congresses hosted by the Philippine Association of Chemistry Teachers (PACT) as an expression of its appreciation for the legacy of chemistry education left by Dr. Juanita A. Manalo.
Separate awards will be given for chemistry educators at the secondary and tertiary levels. Thus, nominations are invited from high school and college level chemistry teachers. The criteria for the nominee in each level are:
- Nominees must have at least three years of teaching experience at the institution.
- Nominees must have made an outstanding contribution to the teaching of chemistry such as the development of innovative approaches/tools to the teaching of chemistry researches in chemistry education and development of teaching materials. Please attach supporting documents.
- Nominations may be made by a school/university official or by a regular member of any of the chemical societies under the Philippine Federation of Chemistry Societies (PFCS).
- Nominations must be endorsed by the school/principal department chair or by an officer of the regional chapter of one of the chemistry societies under the PFCS.
- The nominee must be a chemist who has conducted chemical research in the Philippines or must have contributed to chemical research through linkages with a Philippine researcher.
- The nominees must have made significant contributions to his/her field as evidenced by any of the following: 1) papers published in the last five years, 2) research mentorship
- as measured by the number of theses advisees (B.S., M.S., and Ph.D.) and trainees supervised in the last five years. Please attach supporting documents including proof of completion of the project supervised.
- Nominations must be made by the department chair/head of institution/ or by a regular member of any of the chemical societies under the PFCS. The nomination must make a statement of the significance of the work done.
- The nominee must be a chemist who has made a contribution to the chemistry related aspects of an industry in the Philippines through leadership, entrepreneurship, R&D management, process development and other means. Please attach supporting documents.
- Nominations must be made by the head of institution or by a regular member of one of the chemistry societies under the Philippine Federation of Chemistry Societies. The nomination must state the significance and impact of the nominee’s contributions to the industry.
Service to the Chemistry Profession
This is a special award to recognize individuals (not necessarily chemists) who have made outstanding contributions to the upliftment of chemistry in the Philippines through leadership advocacy and exemplary work.
Juanita Manalo Memorial Award
This is a special award to recognize chemistry educators for their efforts in improving the way chemistry is taught. This award is only given during Chemistry Congresses hosted by the Philippine Association of Chemistry Teachers (PACT) as an expression of its appreciation for the legacy of chemistry education left by Dr. Juanita A. Manalo. The awardee will be given an opportunity to present their work and ideas in a public forum like the Philippine Chemistry Congress.