Chemistry in the ASEAN
5th National Children’s On-the-Spot Chemistry Poster Making Competition
February 7, 2015 8:00-12:00
Venue: Concurrent in Multiple Venues (see list below)
As we celebrate the Chemistry Week on 9-15 February 2015, the Philippine Federation of Chemistry Societies in cooperation with twelve Philippine Universities is holding the 5th National Children’s On-the-Spot Chemistry Poster Making Competition on the theme “Chemistry in the ASEAN”. This contest will highlight children’s view of the role of chemistry in our life. The activity will be conducted nationwide. This activity aims to contribute to a greater public interest in and appreciation of chemistry, particularly among the youth.
The competition will be held on 7 February 2015 at 8:00 am to 12:00 pm at different venues nationwide.
- Eligibility. This contest is open to all interested Grades IV to VII pupils from both public and private schools nationwide.
- Pre-registration. Each contestant must pre-register by sending to the Secretariat the attached registration form on or before 28 January 2014 through fax or email. The registration form should be endorsed by the school’s Principal. A maximum of two contestants per school will be accommodated.
- Acceptance. Only fifty (50) contestants will be accepted to participate in the contest. Acceptance will be made on a first-come first-served basis. The accepted contestants will be informed on or before 31 January 2014. Each contestant will be required to present a valid school identification (ID) card on the day of the competition.
- Theme. All posters should relate to the theme “Chemistry in the ASEAN”. The contestants are encouraged to read on this topic prior to the contest.
- Format. The poster should be done on a 10” x 15” illustration board using craypas. Drawing and writing materials for the contest (including illustration board, bond paper, craypas, pencil, eraser) shall be provided by the organizers at the contest venue.
The artworks must remain anonymous. All entries will be pre-numbered. No signatures, names, or other identifying marks should appear at either side of the material of the entry.
- Time limit. All artworks must be done only on the spot, and must be completed within the allotted time of two hours.
- Violations. Entries that violate any of the contest rules may be disqualified outright. Any administrative or technical problems that may arise during the contest and judging process shall be resolved by the organizers/judges whose decision shall be final and unappealable.
- Ownership of Entries. All entries in the competition will be properties of the Philippine Federation of Chemistry Societies.
Criteria for judging. Entries will be judged according to creativity (40%), originality (30%) and relevance to the theme (30%).
Local: The Board of Judges will be chosen by the organizers from the host school. The decision of the Board of Judges shall be final and unappealable.
National: The Board of Judges will be composed of noted artists and representatives from the Federation of Philippine Chemistry Societies. The decision of the Board of Judges shall be final and unappealable.
Local: Three winning entries from each host school shall be chosen and shall be awarded PhP 2000.00 each. They will qualify as finalists for the national award.
National: Three winning entries will be chosen from the pool of finalists and shall be awarded the following prizes:
First Prize – PhP 7,000.00
Second Prize -PhP 5,000.00
Third Prize – PhP 3,000.00
The first place winner and his/her teacher will also receive free accommodations and round trip airfare tickets to Davao City.
Awarding. The local winners will be announced and awarded the prizes on the day of the competition. The national winners will be announced by the second week of March and the prizes will be awarded during the 29th Philippine Chemistry Congress which will be held on 15-17 April 2014 at the Ateneo de Davao University, Davao City. The winning posters will also be exhibited during the Congress.
Organized by the Philippine Federation of Chemistry Societies
In cooperation with the ff venue heads and universities:
Dr. Agnes T. Aranas
Ateneo de Davao University
Dr. Gilbert Yu
Ateneo de Manila University
Dr. Redel Gutierrez
Central Luzon State University
Dr. Ilda Borlongan
Central Philippine University
Mr. Edward Santos
De La Salle University
Dr. Christopher Ambe
Mindanao State University – Illigan State University
Dr. Jonathan Pa-a
Dr. Lilibeth Coo
University of the Philippines-Diliman
Dr. Hidelisa P. Hernandez
University of the Philippines- Los Banos
Ms. Queenie Marie Maquilang
University of San Carlos
Dr. Karen Santiago
University of Santo Tomas
Ms. Romelisa A. Ibale
For further details, contact:
Dr. Glenn Alea
De La Salle University
Tel / Fax: 536-0230