The Integrated Chemists of the Philippines Southern Mindanao Chapter (ICP-SOMIN) gave Excellence in Chemistry Year 2013 Awards to outstanding high school students last 16 February 2013 at the Ateneo de Davao University. The following are the awardees:
- Lilibeth Diane Yu* – Davao Christian High School Academy
- Carlo Antonio Nazareno* – Colegio de San Ignacio
- Keanu Polo Bonocan – Philippine Science High School
- Earl Christian Te – Ateneo de Davao University
- Paul Dave Panzo – Sta. Ana National High School
- Dewy Rose Escueta – Davao Central High School
- Kent Raven Olario – University of Immaculate Conception
- Edward Jan Bacalso – Davao City Special National High School
- Victor Patrick Agdasiw – Baguio National High School
- Zuhair Ali – Brokenshire Science High School
- Lara Francess Rañises – Philippine Women’s College of Davao
High schools from the region submitted one nominee each for the award. The criteria consisted of the average grade in Chemistry (60%), participation in Chemistry-related contests, quiz bees, science quests and other related contests (30%), and narrative report of the character and excellence as exemplified by the student to be attested by a Chemistry Teacher (10%).
The event was held back-to-back with the National Children’s On-the-Spot Poster Making Contest. Support for the events were given by Chemrez Technologies, Dow Chemical Company, Boysen, Shell, Perkin-Elmer and C&E Publishing.